Images of onions and garlic will most likely come to mind at the mention of bad breath. However, here at our Denville dental practice, we would like to point out that there’s more to these awesome spices than their poor image of causing bad breath.
Below are 5 other things that may be causing stinky breath:
1. Gum disease such as gingivitis and periodontitis – Although bacteria may normally thrive in between your teeth and the surface of your gums, too much bacteria due to gum disease (plaque formation, anyone) could actually lead to bad breath.
2. Dry Mouth – Normally, your saliva neutralizes the acid in your mouth which in turn supports the growth of bacteria. When you have dry mouth, you won’t have enough saliva to neutralize the acid thus bad breath-causing bacteria may proliferate!
3. Smoking and/or tobacco use – Smokers are more likely to have gum disease and tobacco can reduce one’s ability to taste food. As mentioned earlier, gum disease could increase the proliferation of bacteria in one’s mouth.
4. Medical conditions such as lung infection, diabetes, tonsillitis, and stomach problem brought about by H.pylori.
5. Hormonal shifts such as pregnancy and menstruation. Every so often, surge of hormones could make your mouth friendlier to bad breath-causing bacteria.
Let us help you with your bad breath issues? Get in touch with us today by calling us at 973.542.2742or by filling out this contact form. We look forward to your visit!